Workshop Media is an end-to-end video production company, walking you through all the stages of making a video. We’ve been in the business for 3 years for a variety of Vancouver companies.
We strive to be the studio who works with clients to comprehend, cultivate, and create expressive visual messages that speak to all of us.
Our clients are production houses, businesses, filmmakers and content creators. We opened Workshop Camera Rentals not only to share our equipment to the local video-making community but to open up new avenues for collaboration.
We want to become a place for collaborators to develop and grow, and a space that invites clients to cooperate and cultivate their ideas.
Our rental policy can be read right next to this FAQ. We are flexible and can draft a separate rental agreement for your specific production.
Like most camera rental houses, pickup day is afternoon (after 1:00 pm). Return day is at 10:00 am and before noon (12:00 pm). We can arrange different times ahead with enough anticipation (at least 24 hours) if you call, message via Drift or email ahead of time. We are also able to accommodate weekend pickups and returns, as well as off-hours on weekdays. We do close temporarily for lunch usually around noon. A sign in the door will indicate when we will be back, and we are always reachable via the web chat Drift, email, and phone. Delivery comes at an extra cost of $10 depending on distance (Are you within the Greater Vancouver Area?).
We will issue you an invoice either via email or through our e-commerce platform here on the website. We expect half up front and the other half paid upon return. Interac e-transfer is the fastest way for us to operate. We can send you a request for e-transfer or you can send it to [email protected] with your order on the notes. We accept cheques, and we use Square for VISA, Mastercard, and Debit. Bank, wire transfers, and cash are acceptable forms of payment too (let us know in advance). All rentals done through Quupe will be paid in full, upfront, upon acceptance through Quupe’s payment systems and are subject to Quupe’s transaction fees.
We prefer if you do. Most people use short form insurance for their productions as they only shoot for a couple of days—this is what we recommend—unless you are a large scale production, or your company is covered under an umbrella plan.
Under our guidelines, you are responsible for any property or person damage you (or your third parties) may cause while using our equipment. This is why it is up to you if you need commercial general liability insurance. That being said, we understand that insurance is an extra cost to the low budget filmmaker. This is why we have partnered with the good folks at Quupe, an alternative rental website, to provide equipment that is covered by Quupe’s rental systems. Note that Quupe’s insurance covers us and not you. Quupe can provide extra insurance to your rental of our equipment for a much lower price!
In the end, we will let you rent our equipment without insurance, but you must accept that all liability falls on you and will be at your expense.
We are flexible. We generally ask for half of your payment up front when you pick up. Hence, we do not require any amount of deposit, nor credit card authorization.
It is up to you and us to check all the equipment before it is handed to you and you leave the door. If an item or its accessories are not working please call, email, or message us through Drift. We will assess the issue with you and find a solution. If you broke it, or the item is found to be malfunctioning due to an action on your part, then it is your responsibility to notify us, repair and/or replace the full value of that item. This is why equipment insurance is important. We recommend taking photos of the equipment before and after the fact in most cases.
1. Send an order request via the website with item(s), pickup and rental days, and contact information.
2. Alternatively, call us, email or message via Drift (or Quupe) to request item(s), pickup and rental days, and contact information.
3. We will send you a quote for you to approve. Or we will email you with more details if your situation is different.
4. Pick up your equipment, and pay half up front (unless we have agreed to delivery, alternative times, or other forms of payment).
5. On return day, we will check that all equipment is returned in full and in good working conditions. You pay the final half or the full amount (unless our agreement differs from usual).
Drift is an application plugin that allows us to instantly chat with our customers, answer questions and book their gear. Similar to many other chat pop-ups that you’ve seen on the internet. During our work hours, communication via Drift will be almost instant, whereas off-hours and weekends we will receive an email with your questions. We will always do our best to answer questions as soon as it is humanly possible. Drift does collect your email and phone information, as well as your name if you provide it. We use this information to book your gear, set up appointments, and to provide a better customer experience. None of this information is shared outside of Drift and our internal systems.
Email and Drift are very comfortable for us to receive your questions and requests. If you are in a hurry, calling is the fastest way of communication. We do have Facebook Pages, Twitter, and Instagram accounts, but you should expect a delay in response through this channels. We are, however, happy to provide the same level of customer support through these. We can also be found through our video production site at http://workshopmedia.ca/
We are located in Unit 207, 111 West Broadway, Vancouver, British Columbia, VY5 1P4. Entrance is through Manitoba St. next to the Starbucks, on the opposite end of 7-11.
Hours are Monday through Friday, 10:00 am through 6:00 pm.
Weekends and off-hours by appointment only.
Unfortunately, we don’t at the moment. There’s metered parking along Broadway, Manitoba, and the streets below near Jonathan Rogers Park. There’s paid parking at the 7-eleven, and across the street on top of the MEC building (the cheapest). The internet says that there’s free parking at the nearby Kingsgate Mall. For quick in/out drop-offs, parking in front of our building works, but no promises! Call us ahead of your visit if you’re having trouble.
24-hour notice is required for no charges on a cancellation. We will charge a full day rate on cancellations done at the last minute.
We are one and the same. Workshop Camera Rentals is our equipment rental arm. Through Workshop Camera Rentals we want to provide affordable video rental solutions to clients working in audiovisual mediums, video, photo, and film production in the Vancouver area from our convenient location in the Mount Pleasent neighborhood. Workshop Media is a video production company that strives to comprehend, cultivate, and create expressive visual messages. We are an end-to-end company making videos from development all the way through delivery.
1. The following definitions are used but not otherwise defined:
a. “Replacement Value” means the market value of the Equipment at the end of the Term or when in relation to a Total Loss, the market value the Equipment would have had at the end of the Term but for the Total Loss. The Replacement Value may be less than but will not be more than the original purchase price of the Equipment.
b. “Equipment” means the actual piece of gear, the tool, or object that will be leased to “Renter” from the “Lessee”.
c. “Total Loss” means any loss or damage that is not repairable or that would cost more to repair than the market value of the Equipment.
d. “Renter” or “Lessee” means the person who is paying for the service of leasing a piece of Equipment from the Lessor
f. “The Parties” is the collective term for the Lessee and the Lessor.
g. “Pick-up Day” is the day when the Renter when leases the Equipment.
h. “Return Day” is the day when the Renter returns all the Equipment leased from the Lessor.
2. The Lessor agrees to lease the Equipment to the Renter, and the Renter agrees to lease the Equipment from the Lessor in accordance with the terms set out here
3. The Agreement commences on the Pick-up Day and will continue until the Return Day (the “Term”) established in the Quote.
4. The rent for the Equipment will be paid prior to the Renter taking possession of the Equipment.
Delivery of Equipment
5. The Renter will, at the Renter’s own expense and risk, pick up, transport, and return the Equipment from 207-111 West Broadway, Vancouver, British Columbia, v5y 1p4. Unless, prior delivery services with the Lessor are agreed upon.
Use of Equipment
6. The Renter will use the Equipment in a good and careful manner and will comply with all of the manufacturer’s requirements and recommendations respecting the Equipment and with any applicable law, whether local, state or federal respecting the use of the Equipment, including, but not limited to, environmental and copyright law.
7. The Renter will use the Equipment for the purpose for which it was designed and not for any other purpose.
8. Unless the Renter obtains the prior written consent of the Lessor, the Renter will not alter, modify or attach anything to the Equipment unless the alteration, modification or attachment is easily removable without damaging the functional capabilities or economic value of the Equipment.
9. The Equipment will be in good working order and good condition upon delivery.
10. The Equipment is of merchantable quality and is fit for the following purpose: Video, Film or Photographic Shoot, Recording, Studio, or Set.
Loss and Damage
11. To the extent permitted by law, the Renter will be responsible for risk of loss, theft, damage or destruction to the Equipment from any and every cause.
12. If the Equipment is lost or damaged, the Renter will continue paying Rent, will provide the Lessor with prompt written notice of such loss or damage and will, if the Equipment is repairable, put or cause the Equipment to be put in a state of good repair, appearance and condition.
13. In the event of Total Loss of the Equipment, the Renter will provide the Lessor with prompt written notice of such loss and will pay to the Lessor all unpaid Rent for the Term plus the Casualty Value of the Equipment, at which point ownership of the Equipment passes to the Lessee.
Ownership, Right to Lease and Quiet Enjoyment
14. The Equipment is the property of the Lessor and will remain the property of the Lessor.
15. The Renter will not encumber the Equipment or allow the Equipment to be encumbered or pledge the Equipment as security in any manner.
16. The Lessor warrants that the Lessor has the right to lease the Equipment according to the terms in this Agreement.
17. The Lessor warrants that as long as no Event of Default has occurred, the Lessor will not disturb the Renter’s quiet and peaceful possession of the Equipment or the Renter’s unrestricted use of the Equipment for the purpose for which the Equipment was designed.
18. At the end of the Term or upon earlier termination of this Agreement, the Renter will return the Equipment at the Lessee’s cost, expense and risk to the Lessor by delivering the Equipment to 207-111 West Broadway, Vancouver, British Columbia, v5y 1p4. If the Renter fails to return the Equipment to the Lessor at the end of the Term or any earlier termination of this Agreement, the Renter will pay to the Lessor any unpaid Rent for the Term plus the Replacement Value of the Equipment plus 10% of the Replacement Value, at which point ownership of the Equipment will pass to the Renter.
19. No insurance coverage for the Equipment is required under this Agreement.
20. The Renter will report and pay all taxes, fees, and charges associated with the Equipment, with the use of the Equipment, and with revenues and profits arising out of the use of the Equipment, including, but not limited to, sales taxes, property taxes, and license and registration fees. The Renter will pay any and all penalties and interest for failure to pay any tax, fee or charge on or before the date on which the payment is due. The Renter will pay any and all penalties and interest for failure to report required information to any taxing authority with jurisdiction over the Lessee or the Equipment. If the Renter fails to do any of the foregoing, the Lessor may, but is not obligated to, do so at the Renter’s expense.
21. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Agreement, the Renter will not be required to pay any tax, fee or charge if the Renter is contesting the validity of same in the manner prescribed by the legislation governing the imposition of same, or in the absence of a prescribed form, in a reasonable manner. However, the Renter will indemnify and reimburse the Lessor for damages and expenses incurred by the Lessor arising from or related to the Renter’s failure to pay any tax, fee or charge, regardless of whether the Renter is contesting the validity of the same or not.
22. If the Renter fails to pay any and all taxes, fees, and charges mentioned in this Agreement and the Lessor, on behalf of the Renter, pays the same, the Renter will reimburse the Lessor for the cost upon notification from the Lessor of the amount.
23. The occurrence of any one or more of the following events will constitute an event of default (“Event of Default”) under this Agreement:
a. The Renter fails to pay any amount provided for in this Agreement when such amount is due or otherwise breaches the Renter’s obligations under this Agreement.
b. The Renter becomes insolvent or makes an assignment of rights or property for the benefit of creditors or files for or has bankruptcy proceedings instituted against it under the Federal bankruptcy law of Canada or other competent jurisdiction.
c. A writ of attachment or execution is levied on the Equipment and is not released or satisfied within 10 days.
24. On the occurrence of an Event of Default, the Lessor will be entitled to pursue any one or more of the following remedies (the “Remedies”):
a. Declare the entire amount of the Rent for the Term immediately due and payable without notice or demand to the Lessee.
b. Apply the Deposit toward any amount owing to the Lessor.
c. Commence legal proceedings to recover the Rent and other obligations accrued before and after the Event of Default.
d. Take possession of the Equipment, without demand or notice, wherever same may be located, without any court order or other processes of law. The Renter waives any and all damage occasioned by such taking of possession.
e. Terminate this Agreement immediately upon written notice to the Renter.
f. Pursue any other remedy available in law or equity.
25. The Renter will not assign this agreement, the Renter’s interest in this agreement or the Renter’s interest in the equipment without the prior consent of the Lessor.
26. If the Renter assigns this Agreement, the Renter’s interest in this Agreement or the Renter’s interest in the Equipment without the prior written consent of the Lessor, the Lessor will have recourse to the Remedies and will be entitled to all damages caused by the assignment.
Address for Notice
27. Service of all notices under this Agreement will be delivered personally or sent by registered mail or courier to the following addresses:
Lessor: Workshop Media Inc, 207-111 West Broadway, Vancouver, British Columbia, v5y 1p4
Lessee: The Renter shall provide his address and contact information when requesting a quote.
28. Interest payable on any overdue amounts under this Agreement will be at a rate of 18.00 percent per annum or at the maximum rate allowed under applicable legislation, whichever is lower.
29. It is the intention of the Parties to this Agreement that this Agreement and the performance under this Agreement, and all suits and special proceedings under this Agreement, be construed in accordance with and governed, to the exclusion of the law of any other forum, by the laws of the Province of British Columbia without regard to the jurisdiction in which any action or special proceeding may be instituted.
30. This Agreement may be executed in counterparts. Facsimile signatures are binding and are considered to be original signatures.
31. Time is of the essence in this Agreement.
32. This Agreement will extend to and be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the respective heirs, executors, administrators, successors and assigns, as the case may be, of each Party to this Agreement.
33. Neither Party will be liable in damages or have the right to terminate this Agreement for any delay or default in performance if such delay or default is caused by conditions beyond its control including, but not limited to Acts of God, Government restrictions, wars, insurrections, natural disasters, such as earthquakes, hurricanes or floods and/or any other cause beyond the reasonable control of the Party whose performance is affected.
Notice to Lessee
34. NOTICE TO THE RENTER: This is a lease. You are not buying the Equipment. You are entitled to a completed copy of this Agreement.
35. Value other than Rent paid or being paid to Lessor: Lessee is responsible for GST on rental price.